Saturday, March 15, 2008

I'm not growing up because pants with elastic waists scare the crap out of me

This past weekend I was feeding my fiery bargain shopping addiction at a store that shall remain nameless. I browsed the racks of oh-so-cute cheaply made and cheaply priced clothing. I grabbed a couple of things to try on, one being this bright yellow empire waist sundress (very short sundress, okay more of a this-should-be-a-shirt-but-it's-a-dress sundress).

I was waiting for a dressing room, casually studying the other people in line when I had a very startling revelation; I am not 22 years old anymore! I was in line next to a twelve year old waiting to try on a dress that was probably designed for a twelve year old.

Am I too old to shop in the juniors section?

Am I becoming that old lady? That one old lady whose pleather pants blatantly brand her so far in denial of her age that she looks like a fool. Please tell me this is not happening!

Inside the dressing room I slipped the bright yellow dress over my head. Darn-it. It fit and it was cute.

I left the fitting area and made my way to the Women's Section. I studied the racks of shapeless tops and long stretchy skirts and pants. No shortage of elastic-waist jeans there. I picked up a pair of long shorts with a double-pleat in front and thought to myself, Wow, these will definitely fit me…in the highly unlikely event that I grow a second ass out my front side. No thanks!

I suddenly felt like the walls were closing in on me, I envisioned myself ten years older in stirrup pants and an oversize tunic with little teddy bears and bows and stuff embroidered all over it.

I left the store. And I love my new yellow sundress.

No comments: