Sunday, January 10, 2010

Taking Taylor to the Movies

Johnny and I do not have children. Well, we don’t have human children. I like human children and I especially love my 5 year old niece, Taylor. This past week Johnny and I took Taylor to the Movies to see The Princess and the Frog . I am surprised and almost ashamed to admit this…but this was the first time I have ever been 100% alone with a little person out in public. As in no moms, no experienced adult. Just me, Johnny, and Taylor.

I always find myself talking to kids like they are adults. I get a little nervous around them because they are very observant. I know that Taylor knew that Johnny and I had no idea what we were doing when it took both of us to strap her into her car seat. She politely sat there while Johnny and I figured out that we were making it way harder than it was.

Once inside the theatre Johnny and I bought her popcorn, candy, and a caffeine free root beer. It was at this point that Taylor told me she needed to use the bathroom.

Bathroom. Oh. Okay. I can do this. No big deal.

I noticed that I had not let go of her hand since we got out of the car. In my head I was trying to remember… Bathroom. Do five year olds normally get their own stall?…do they share with an adult? What am I doing? How do I not know this!!!

I opted for the handicap stall and led her inside. I tried to act cool.

I turned my back while she did her stuff . Again, I was reminded of how incredibly aware children are. Taylor clearly knew that this whole thing was new to me. She said, “Amy, now you help me wash my hands”. She is such a sweet girl.

The sink was tall. Too tall for a five year old. The soap dispenser (on the wall) was not even close to the child’s reach. Well, me…being the logical adult I am… just awkwardly picked Taylor up and nudged her toward the sink and the poorly positioned soap deal. I had her sort of propped up side-ways on my thigh. I turned the water on and it splashed all over her coat sleeves…soaking my jeans.


Maybe I should have taken her coat off?

Maybe I should have retrieved the soap for her?


I noticed that the other moms in the bathroom and their children were staring at me. It was sort of funny because the mom’s expressions clearly conveyed that they thought I had no idea what I was doing. The kids, however, seemed more forgiving. They looked at Taylor’s soaking wet coat sleeves, and up at me. I immediately brought my little niece down from her perch, took off her coat, and dried her hands.

This whole time Taylor didn’t say a word and I almost think she did so because she didn’t want to hurt my feelings. We left the bathroom and found Johnny waiting for us. Johnny took one of Taylor’s hands and I grabbed the other. We walked to find our seats in the theatre.

I doubt that Taylor will ever remember the whole bathroom debacle…just having fun with Aunt Amy and Uncle Johnny. I guess that’s the sad and great difference between adults and kids.

No comments: